Dandruff can be a problem anytime of the year, but it’s always more of a problem when the heating season comes. Lower humidity levels in homes/businesses, and drier winter air all contribute to the problem.
That white flakey stuff that can itch like crazy is a reminder that we need to do more to keep the scalp free of accumulated skin cells (dandruff) that are being shed all the time.
Here are some effective ways of dealing with dandruff:
1. More frequent shampooing with mild, low pH shampoo. Daily is best, but every other day at a minimum.
2. Use a hair brush to scrub the scalp before and during the shampoo. Any brush is good, but a plastic “polypin” brush with longer bristles is best.
3. Use “Nizoral” shampoo once every couple of weeks, This shampoo used to be a prescription only shampoo, but is now available over the counter. Work up a lather and leave it on the scalp for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing. Use “Nizoral” in addition to daily shampooing with mild shampoo.
4. “Hask” is a tried and true tonic sold in barber shops. After the shampoo and rinse, put enough of the tonic on the hair so that it gets down to the scalp.
5. For people who can’t shampoo often (bed-ridden or otherwise handicapped), use “Listerine” mouthwash. Like the “Hask” treatment, use enough to wet the scalp.
Your customers need to know there is no known cure for dandruff. All they can do is control it.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.