After finishing a great haircut, one that has been cut according to what was agreed on beforehand, there are a few more things to get it done RIGHT.
1. Give your patron a hand mirror with them faced away from the back bar. If needed, help them adjust the mirror so they can see the back of their head appear in the big mirror. Slowly turn the chair to the left and right so they can see both sides of their head. At this point, my usual comment is to say: “I have plenty of time to make any changes you may want.”
2. If you see any long eyebrow hairs, ask if they would like them trimmed. Do the same for ear hair–both inside the “nub” and on the top and outside edges of the ear. Check for hair that may protrude from the nostrils.
3. Check to be sure the hair in front of the ears is cut to the same level in relation to the ears.
4. A final look has you behind the patron as they face the back bar. See if both sides are in balance (not “bulging” out on one side or the other), and the bangs are as intended. Touch up as needed.
5. Make eye contact as you THANK them.
My riches consist not in the extent of my possessions, but in the fewness of my wants.