Job satisfaction studies has barbering ranked at, or very near, the top of the many ways people spend their working life. Here are some of the things I find enjoyable:
1. Every 10 to 20 minutes of cutting produces a positive result. A smile and some kind words says it was a job well done and much appreciated.
2. My cutting efforts result in haircuts that make life a little easier. They are low maintenance, low concern, and require the least amount of chemicals to stay in shape all day.
3. Years of cutting hair has resulted in people who aren’t “clients” or “customers”–they’re friends I look forward to seeing.
4. It’s challenging work because of the variety of haircuts I give, which are always customized to the person’s preferences and the unique attributes of their hair.
5. My shop is smoke and chemical-free. A variety of music plays without commercials, all helping to make for a positive day that goes by nicely.
6. I’m free to set up and run my business the way I want, and I don’t spend time worrying about a lay-off notice.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.